Tuesday 21 September 2010

One Fall by Spencer Baum

Official Blurb

With one kick, Joey Hamilton has sent the world of professional wrestling into chaos. In his first World Title match, on national television, Joey botched a simple maneuver, turning a scripted wrestling match into a nightmarish reality.

Now the World Champion is injured and the locker room is in tatters. With the top spot open, veteran wrestlers are jockeying for position, hoping to become the next megastar, and Joey is their target.

With a unique look behind the scenes at America's most violent dramatic art, One Fall shows the world of professional wrestling in its rawest form.

My Review

A couple of days ago I decided that I'd heard enough sci fi and fantasy and wanted to try something else, and so a search for "thrillers" turned up "One Fall" over at Podiobooks.

So what did I find? I found an excellent novel that went way beyond my expectations and cought me up in an unexpected manner. the blurb doesn't tell the whole story. You don't have to be a Wrestling fan to enjoy this book. It's as much about the Business aspects and machinations as about the wrestling.

The wrestling is treated well, this book does not pretend the on screen wrestling stories are real and shows how the business really works, how fights are planned how the on screen wrestling stories are created and shows the business world to be the real back biting place it is.

The characters are also really well portrayed. Not just the wrestlers themselves but also the fans the organisers and owners. All of them come across as real people with real feelings and problems. I had expected some cardboard cut out characters but this was not the case. I couple of times the lead character was faced with situation where I just knew he was going to turn out to be a heel, but the writer surprised me!

To summarise, I was exceptionaly pleased to find this novel, it was a great story, with great characters and terrific reading. Worth a listen!

Reading 3/3
Production 2/3
Story 3/3

Total Score 8/9

Download it from Podiobooks

Listen to the first chapter