Sunday 20 June 2010

The Lost Continent by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Official Blurb

Originally published under the title Beyond Thirty.

The novel, set in the year 2137, was heavily influenced by the events of World War I. In the future world depicted in the novel, Europe has descended into barbarism while an isolationist Western Hemisphere remains sheltered from the destruction. The title Beyond Thirty refers to the degree of longitude that inhabitants of the Western Hemisphere are forbidden to pass.

My Review

This is a Edgar Burroughs story but is a little different from his usual fair. How is it different, well, I'm not sure I can tell you, I can't put my finger on it.

It does follow the usual heroic focus, such as found in the Carter or Tarzan books but I guess this is it, the Hero starts off quite heroic but does not seem to live up to that title. Yep, thats it.

When the hero starts investigating the world "beyond thirty" he seems to become more passive, more of a passenger than a driver.

The world beyond the 30 is a land of barbarians, who seems to have lost the technology they used to have. It's not quite a fall back to the world of dinosaurs but wild animals have bred!

Overall it's an interesting story, but not quite up to the action and adventure of his other works. Certainly worth a listen if you like this kind of adventure, but I fear you might be disapointed if you've listened to his other books.

Reading 2/3
Production 2/3
Story 2/3

Total Score 6/9

Download it from Librivox

Listen to the first chapter