Monday 1 March 2010

A School History of the Great War

Official Blurb

A brief history of The Great War (World War I) designed for students in grades seven and eight. Special emphasis on European history leading up to the war, reasons and events leading to America’s eventual entering the war, and possible ramifications of the war for future generations.

My Review

This is described as a school book, and thats what it sounds like. It "tells" rather than "shows". No suggestions are made for the various countries and thier motivation, instead you are told in an all powerful, no quibbles, straight forward approach what happened and why they did it.

For instance. Germany was greedy for resources so went to war for it. Straight forward statement of fact.

Unfortunately this book is a little too light for my historical tastes. As well as listening I read every day, and every other book I read is on history. I tend to like a more in-depth approach to my history, and this book didn't quite hit it for me.

This is still a good book, a good overview of WWI, just not to my taste. I liked the readers and the pacing so if you do want a light overview of the history this would be a good one to start with.

Reading 2
Production 2
Story 2

Total : 6/9


Download from Librivox

Listen to chapter one