Monday 22 March 2010

The Land that Time Forgot

Official Blurb

The Land That Time Forgot is a science fiction novel, the first of Edgar Rice Burroughs’ “Caspak” trilogy. His working title for the story was “The Lost U-Boat.” Starting out as a harrowing wartime sea adventure, the story ultimately develops into that of a fantastical lost world.

My Review

I vaguely remember a film by this name that had dinosaurs in it. So with that in mind I was surprised to find that half the novel is set on a U-Boat! [Spoilers ahead] It's set during the war and a U-Boat is expressing itself through unrestricted warfare and is busy sinking boats all over the place. Onto this boat comes the protagonist, then they find themselves off course and finally they find the land mentioned in the title.

At this point we're into the good stuff, man vs monster in a real professor Challenger style. As the story moved into this area I really started enjoying myself. It only took me a couple of nights to get through this story as I was enjoying it so much.

Let's some it up. U-Boats, Exploration, Dinosaurs. That's ticking all of the "fun" boxes for a good adventure.

It's read by Ralph Snelson, who proves hiimself to be a darn good reader.

There are two more books in this series, and you'll be seeing reviews for them here soon. I'm really looking forward to downloading them.

Reading 3
Production 2
Story 3

Total : 8/9

Download from Librivox

Listen to the first chapter