Friday 22 May 2009

The Thing from the Lake

Official Blurb

To get away from city life periodically, New Yorker Roger Locke purchases an abandoned farm house in rural Connecticut, and with the assistance of his cousin Phillida and her beau Ethan Vere, he sets about fixing up the place.

Immediately however, an unseen mysterious woman begins giving him warnings during nocturnal visits to leave the house at once. Soon he begins hearing strange ominous sounds emanating from the tiny lake at the back of the house coupled with a permeation of sickly odors. An evil presence then begins to visit him during the witching hours of the late night, challenging him to a battle of wits from which there can be only one victor.

Is his mysterious female visitor there to help and encourage him to flee from the house, or is she working in tandem with The Thing From the Lake?

My Review

I grabbed this title because the title sounded rather Lovecraftian to me. The story isn't really Lovecraftian at all, it's more a ghost story type of thing.

The blurb gives you the story so I wont reiterate that, but what I can tell you is that this is a fairly slow story, but not in a bad way. It's of its age in that the story plods along , tyhe content is not high action or cliffhanger but is absorbing.

To give you some idea of how absorbing let me say that I normally listen to one chapter of a book as soon as I get home from work, well with this story I started like that but after about five I started listening to two each night. The lead character is a nice guy, and that appeals to me. The other characters are likewise believable and likeable and they fit together so that their emotive responses draw on your own while listening.

It's never terrifying, but is a good quality ghost story, very likeable.

Reading 2/3
Production 2/3
Story 2/3

Total Score 6/9

Download it from Librivox

Listen to the first chapter