Saturday 11 June 2011

The Dawn of a To-morrow by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Official Blurb

A wealthy London business man takes a room in a poor part of the city.

He is depressed and has decided to take his life by going the next day to purchase a hand gun he had seen in a pawnshop window. The morning comes with one of those 'memorable fogs' and the adventure he has in it alters his decisions and ultimately his life.

My Review

A break from my usual adventure and sci fi fair with this story. This time round it's a story of despair and hope! As the blurb says just about the whole story I'm not sure what I can add!

It's interesting to note however that the "fog" being talked about is not something I've experienced, but I remember my father telling me about the "pea soup" fogs of his youth. The smoke from coal fires used to literally make a foggy night so thick that it was like looking through pea soup. It's this kind of fog that is a turning point in the story. A man set of self destruction takes a misstep in the fog and has his life and world turned around.

Ultimately it's a moral story, no high adventure, just a step by step progression from despair to enlightenment.

All in all I enjoyed the story and the reader was pretty good too!

Reading 2/3
Production 2/3
Story 1/3

Total Score 5/9


Download it from the Librivox

Listen to the first part

.