Monday 28 December 2009

Short Science Fiction Collection 21

Official Blurb

Science Fiction is speculative literature that generally explores the consequences of ideas which are roughly consistent with nature and scientific method, but are not facts of the author’s contemporary world. The stories often represent philosophical thought experiments presented in entertaining ways. Protagonists typically “think” rather than “shoot” their way out of problems, but the definition is flexible because there are no limits on an author’s imagination. The reader-selected stories presented here were written prior to 1962 and became US public domain texts when their copyrights expired.

My Review

The usual SciFi collection blurb from our friends at Librivox. I keep wishing they would put a bit more effort into blurbing these collections. I tend to feel that the standard blurb is likely to put people off. Just a bit dry.

Straight off, I can tell you that this is a good collection of stories. Looking over the collection I personally rated 7 of the stories as Good, 2 as OK and only 1 as poor. That's not bad going considering the disparate sources or the stories.

I'll be linking to my fave which was about a man salvaging a shipwreck in space, that had a few surprises! Then there was the good one about a Pygmy planet with metal monsters and another with robot love and yet another with space-commandos doing battle.

This little collection covers pretty much everything I like about sci fi, mysteries, battles, spaceships and science...fiction.

A good collection well worth the time to download and stuff in your ears.

Reading 2
Production 2
Story 3

Total 7/9

Download the book from Librivox

Listen to my fave story