Saturday 15 August 2009

Faithful Warrior

Official Blurb

Pastor Michael Farris was a well loved man. Loving husband and father, Shepherd of his church, Courageous minister to the inner city gangs of Columbus Ohio. He helped people change their lives for the better. But when his peaceful life is suddenly shattered by a senseless drive by shooting, a side of Pastor Farris that almost no one knew comes to the surface...a violent shadow of a life that he had been able to keep secret all these years. As he seeks to right the crimes committed against him he is unexpectedly confronted by a ghost from his past, and Mike Farris suddenly finds himself in a race against the clock to stop an insane terrorist from killing thousands, maybe even millions in one fell swoop.

My Review

When I found this book at podiobooks I was overjoyed. I've really enjoyed all of the books from this author ( Basil Sands ) that I've heard. This story was not a disappointment.

Mr Sands opens the book with a flashback, a technique that he's used in his other novels to great effect and likewise here. This gives his lead characters a history that you can use to build the characters in your mind as you're following the modern half of the story.

The novel is very engaging and starts with two very emotive scenes that shock, enthrall and draw you into the story. It doesn't take long for the story to tie the two story lines together ( the current and flashback ) into a single thread and the later half of the book then stays firmly in the present.

I have to say that I was rather pleased to find the lead character so unusual, a Marine turned Minister, that's two character traits that seem an unusual pair yet are dealt with here is such a way that they are believable.

Another feature of the book that appealed to me was the inclusion of some favourite characters from his other novels edging into this story and giving me that happy nostalgia that always comes with familiar characters.

Was this story vastly different from his other novels? No. It dealt with the same topics in another way and was all the better for it. I like the writing style, I like the reading style and I like the hero's. A good book.

Reading 3/3
Production 2/3
Story 3/3

Total Score 8/9

Download it from Podiobooks

Listen to the first chapter

Other audio books by the same author I've reviewed.
Karls Last Flight
65 Below