Thursday 27 November 2008

The Loss of the S.S. Titanic

The Official Blurb

This is a 1st hand account written by a survivor of the Titanic about that fateful night and the events leading up to it as well as the events that followed its sinking.

My Review

What have here is the carefully written account of a survivor who approaches his subject with clarity and without the expected amount of passion. He relates stories of his aquaintances onboard before the accident and often remarks on how sad it is that the person just described did not survive.

After relating his own escape he details the events that took place on the Carpathia and on reaching land. Quite dispassionately almost as if he was simply observing rather than being a participant.

Then he goes on to relate the state of safety in ship building and what could and should be done to make ships safer for the passengers and even offers some suggestions on general maritime safety at sea.

I found the story engaging but the suggestions for ship safety and maritime operating procedures a little dull. I was deeply interested to hear the story of an actual survivor and once the immediate survival story was over I found my interest wavering.

I would reccommend that any "fan" of the Titanic (fan?) take a listen to this book. It is extremely well read and my lack of personal interest at the end is no reflection on the reader. It's free, so you have nothing to lose by my taking a listen!

Reading 2/3
Production 2/3
Story 1/3

Total Score 5/9

Download it Librivox

List to the first chapter