Tuesday 23 September 2008

Quarter Share

The Official Blurb

A Trader's Tale from the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper : Book 1

When Ishmael Wang is orphaned by a flitter crash, he must make some hard decisions about how to survive in a Company-owned universe. With limited time and fewer options, he lands a job as the newest hand on the Solar Clipper Lois McKendrick and learns there's more to life than making coffee. Join Ish, Pip, Big Bad Bev, and the rest of the Lois McKendrick's crew as they sail the galaxy in search of profitable trade.For more information on the book and the Golden Age, see http://www.durandus.com/golden

My Review

I've got odd feelings about this one.

There really wasn't a story. No really, I mean it. Yet...

Erm... Its a traders tale, and it follows the main character as he... trades.

He's on a space ship flying from planet to planet but there aren't any aliens, there are no battles, there's a bit of a fight, or rather a mugging, but we only see the aftermath.

I liked it. I really liked it. It's part of a series and I'm going to immediately subscribe to the sequel. It had no story...

The reader was magnificent. A delightful cultured voice that was silky smooth.

No story...

What made this so appealing? It was the characters, they really came to life for me, they feel like real people and yes, I even care about them so I'm definitely going to get straight into the sequel.

It's a good "story" that I guess is going to develop into the second book and third books. I can think of a few threads that weren't followed up and I want to know how they go, I'm looking forward to it.

Reading 3/3
Production 2/3
Story 1/3 ( What story? Yet this is still great!!!!!!!)

Total Score 6/9 (Strangely the score does not reflect what I feel, its great!)

Here is Chapter 1