Thursday 12 June 2008

The Murders in the Rue Morgue

The Official Blurb

The Murders in the Rue Morgue” is a short story written by Edgar Allan Poe in 1841. Poe referred to it as a “tale of ratiocination” featuring the brilliant deductions of C. Auguste Dupin; it is today regarded as one of the first detective stories and is almost certainly the first locked room mystery.

My Review

Hmmmmm... Despite this short story being read by one of my favourite Librivox readers I was still disapointed.

The first half of the first chapter/section is a rather long and slow lead up to introducting the investigative character. Frankly I was about to give up on the story as being too boring, when the story started.

I'm a Sherlock Holmes fan so the idea of listening to the first "Locked Room Mystery" appealed to me. However towards the end of the story as the clues started to fit together and the who and the how became clear I was disapointed.

I am glad I listened to it, because of its vintage and standing, and the reader is an absolute delight on the ears. Shame about the story!

Reading 3/3
Production 2/3
Story 1/3

Total Score 6/9

Available from Librivox.

There is also an Audio Promo for this book.